Preservation of the Kanak Languages of Southern New Caledonia
Vale contributes to the valorization and recovery of local cultures in the areas where it operates.
- Explore the nickel and cobalt mine on the Goro platform, situated in the south of La Grande Terre in New Caledonia.
- There are 4,000 employees, 1,000 of which are direct employees (90% Caledonians), and 250 outsourced companies (2011).
- A reforestation nursery was founded in 1996 (20 hectares were reforested in 2010 and 500,000 plants produced per year).
- 65% of the water used in this procedure is recycled.
See how it was done:
Concern towards the preservation of local languages was found among communities in the south of La Grande Terre during a socioeconomic study carried out by Vale in New Caledonia.
Three Local Languages
Nââ numèè, nââ drubéa and nââ Kwényï form part of the 5,000 languages spoken across the world and need to be preserved.
Vale and Partner Institutions
Vale listened to the community’s concerns and has developed the preservation project in partnership with public authorities.
Two Years of Research
Collection of linguistic and iconographic data was carried out together with members of the communities.
- Boxes of games 600
- Educational brochures 200
- 1,000 posters
- Games involving the species 200
- Traditional tales 1
So far, five posters were developed based on the fauna and flora of the southern island. Have a look at the work below:
Em idioma Numèè Triâ màrô
Em idioma Drubéa Tria merô
Em idioma Kwényi Trimwâ Merä
Em idioma Numèè Xéé iyarë
Em idioma Drubéa Xee iyarë
Em idioma Kwényi Xéé ko kumè
Em idioma Numèè Wèrè nge
Em idioma Drubéa De goo
Em idioma Kwényi Wèrè nge
Em idioma Numèè Xéé draa
Em idioma Drubéa Xee ne
Em idioma Kwényi Xéé dra
Em idioma Numèè Nge
Em idioma Drubéa Goo
Em idioma Kwényi Nge
A pact signed by Vale and the Kanak population established 3 sustainable development devices for the south of the island:
Ensures the participation of community members in environmental monitoring of plant operations.
An association was created for reforestation.
Foundation responsible for the development of social initiatives with communities.